Monday, October 29, 2012

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

When I started reading this book, I thought, Sigh, another cancer book. I am pleased to say that I was very, very wrong. I love this book so much.
Plot: It kept me hooked. What is with me and pulling all nighters for these amazing books I read? The plot is so creative and amazing and hjadsfj;a (that was a keyboard smash) it just made me so happy and sad and yeah. Sorry, that was my moment of incoherence. Please disregard.
Characters: Augustus Waters = perfection. Seriously. Can't I meet someone like that? Hazel is great too. Why are all of these characters so freakin lovable? I love the witty conversations with each other and how well versed they are. Peter Van Houten is actually one of my favorite characters though. He is hilarious, even though he is a big meanie (Rachel is also a big meanie).
Style: John Green is a fantastic writer. He uses a lot of vocabulary words, and he obviously has great style. His book was easy to read and stylistically perfect. Why can't all writers be like this?

This book is literally one of the best books I've ever read. It made me cry (which I rarely ever do while reading books).


Would I recommend this book to a friend? Positively. Everyone reading this post go out and buy it right now. Please.




6 comments:

  1. Your reviews are so neat and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Nope just take the modicum without complaining

      Delete
  3. Augustus makes my heart melt i love this book so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too... i want to cry now!

      Delete
    2. Ahh, me too! I'm really excited for Ansel Elgort's portrayal.

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.