Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Struck (Struck, #1)Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Actual rating: 3.75

Summary: Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.
Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.
Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn't who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.

If we're judging books by covers and book trailers, this would be the best book ever. Whoever designed them, you are awesome! Seriously, the trailer looks like a movie trailer, this coming from a girl who laughs at the silliness of all book trailers. I we judge on content, I'm going to have to lower my rating because this one really annoyed me.

Characters: Mia was kind of a boring character. She looked out for her family and was protective to the point of putting herself at danger. I know the author intended on her being a strong heroine, but she seemed too trite for me. Then there's the love interest, Jeremy. The thing I like about him was his appearance, with his Clark Kent glasses:) For the most part, I found him too elusive to care about. I wanted to figure the guy out, but he really wasn't in he book that much and I stopped caring. I realize that sounds weird as he was a main character.

Plot: I love the idea of the lightning addict. It seems original to me. However, as her power is discovered by various religious groups, they all want it for selfish purposes. That really annoyed me. You should know that I'm not a believer in religion. Regardless, all sides are corrupt so even if you are aren't religiously affiliated, you will probably get a little peeved. Overall, I found the plot to be slow, but I think my expectations were a bit high.

Writing: Mediocre

Book Trailer: Seriously, awesome! I know that the author and her husband are involved in the movie making industry from reading about her, and that fact is evident in the trailer.

Would I recommend this to a friend? Nah, it was a letdown for me.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.