Saturday, November 10, 2012

Review: Willow by Julia Hoban

WillowWillow by Julia Hoban

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Stayed up til 5:00 AM to finish it...needless to say I LOVED IT!

Summary: Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen year- old Willow's parents died in a horrible car accident. Willow was driving. Now her older brother barely speaks to her, her new classmates know her as the killer orphan girl, and Willow is blocking the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when one boy one sensitive, soulful boy discovers Willows secret, it sparks an intense relationship that turns the safe world Willow has created for herself upside down. Told in an extraordinary fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girls struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy's refusal to give up on her.

Characters: Julia Hoban does a great job of developing these characters. Willow was someone who put up walls of protection, not wanting anyone to be let in, utilizing isolation and a little bit of sarcasm to keep people away. However, it is obvious that she still cares about her brother, niece, and others, and I couldn't help but feel for her. As for Guy, he needs to help Willow because that is the way he is. He was such a sweetie. I wish I had my own Guy to always be there by my side, although I hope this guy isn't named Guy because I hate that name. Haha.
Their relationship definitely had some awkward moments like all relationships do, and Hoban realistically demonstrates this. I very much admire the way that she had the two protagonists grow as their relationship simultaneously did.

Plot: It was totally predictable. I don't know what kind of stories are original these days. It seems like everything has already been done.

Writing: *Warning* If you are squeamish, you will have to utilize the super rapid page flip, made famous by moi, when you get to the descriptions of Willow cutting herself.

Would I recommend this to a friend? YES! I told you, I stayed up until 5 to read this. If you like romantic dramas, read it!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.