Monday, January 07, 2013

Review: The Vow by Kim Carpenter

The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the MovieThe Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie by Kim Carpenter

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This may have possibly been worse than the movie...

Summary: Life as Kim and Krickitt Carpenter knew it was shattered beyond recognition on November 24, 1993. Two months after their marriage, a devastating car wreck left Krickitt with a massive head injury and in a coma for weeks.
When she finally awoke, she had no idea who Kim was. With no recollection of their relationship and while Krickitt experienced personality changes common to those who suffer head injuries, Kim realized the woman he had married essentially died in the accident.
And yet, against all odds, but through the common faith in Christ that sustained them, Kim and Krickitt fell in love all over again. Even though Kim stood by Krickitt through the darkest times a husband can ever imagine, he insists, “I’m no hero. I made a vow.”
Now available in trade paper with a new chapter and photo insert, The Vow is the true story that inspired the major motion picture of the same name starring Rachel McAdams (The Notebook), Channing Tatum (Dear John), Sam Neill (Jurassic Park), and Academy Award winner Jessica Lange.
Characters: So, this is mainly about Kim.  He seems like a nice guy, but he is very religious, and his constant and explicit faith in religion get overbearing and annoying quick!  You do have to admire this guy for sticking by his wife though.  Through this book, you really don't get to know Krickitt, but she seems sweet, but also very religious as well.

Plot: I can't really criticize the "plot" since it consists of true events, but I just thought this was weird.  Initially, Krickitt was answering the phones somewhere Kris was placing an order.  Soon, they got to know each other over the phone.  It was after that that they finally met each other in person.  If my memory serves me well, they got married pretty quickly after their meeting.  I guess they were really in love, but I thought that they moved a little fast.

Writing: This book was uber short, but it took me a while to get through.  Frankly, I didn't like that this love story was told through the male's POV.  Men just can't get away with being sappy.  Mostly, I thought the book was boring and far too religious for anyone's tastes.

Movie:  Not even Channing Tatum's derriere could make you want to watch the movie.  What the heck was that ending?! :(





Would I recommend this to a friend? NOOO
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.