Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine, #1)Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summary: A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. 

As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason.

And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive.

Characters: So I had the chance to meet Mr. Riggs last month when the paperback of Miss Peregrine was released.  I met him prior to reading the book and I wonder if that contributes to my disappointment.  Jacob is based on Ransom, but Jacob lacks his wit.  Ransom is really funny in a nerdy way like John Green.  Jacob has a few chuckle-worthy lines, but he was disappointing.  However, I do like his transformation, going from that nerdy underdog state to a brave hero.  His relationship with Emma is super cute!  Emma was Abe's girlfriend, so her dating his grandson is kinda weird and violates bro code or whatever, but they're a good pair.  Sweet young, love.  All of the characters are kind to Jacob when he arrives and have sick powers!

Plot: I admit that this book took forever for me to finish because I needed to get into it.  But once I did, it really picked up!  People, including me, think that this is a creepy book from first glance, but this is a mix of historical, adventure, and sci-fi, not scary at all.  Actually, I read that Ransom Riggs was going to write a children's book using some of the photos initially.  Once you read the book, you're going to be amazed at how Ransom  creatively crafted a story around these random photos that he selected to be put together.  

Sequel: Hollow is the name of the sequel.  Thank goodness there exists one because that would have been a crappy ending.

Movie: Tim Burton will be directing the movie.  I can't think of a better person for the job.  I'm anxious to see who gets casted, but I have no idea when casting begins.  But it is going to be a real movie, none of that thinking it will happen because it got "optioned" and then dropped.  Hmm, maybe Ransom Riggs will have a lot of control over the movie since he studied filmmaking before becoming an author.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes, this isn't my favorite book, but Ransom Riggs' talent is undeniable.

Left to right: Carly (moi), Tahereh Mafi, Ransom Riggs, my friend Dani

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.