Monday, July 01, 2013

Review: Vain by Fisher Amelie

Vain (The Seven Deadly Series, #1)Vain by Fisher Amelie

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary: If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I LOVE IT!

Characters:
Sophie: If you are like me, you may want to smack Sophie in the face in the beginning of the book.  Actually, I was in between wanting to hit her and thinking if people could be as vain as her.  However, as soon as she gets to the orphanage something in her changes and she becomes grateful and much more caring.  She is brave and selfless towards the children by the end, and I would strive to be like her.
Dingane/ Ian: Even if he wasn't the kindest to Sophie right away, I still adored this guy!  He cares for the children like their his own and is just so kind.  What I liked most about him was his backstory.  He has a strong moral compass that guides him, and he is admirable beyond belief.  And he happens to be pretty attractive...
(I picture him as a rugged Zac Efron)

Plot: Not saying that the plot wasn't predictable at parts, but I really enjoyed it! It brings up an important issue that many people are unaware of- Joesph Kony and the LRA. There was the Kony 2012 video that went viral, but this book does a great job of shining light on those evils.  *Note: Intimate scene wise, this is the tamest new adult book ever written.  Seriously, not one scene.  Yet, I appreciate this because of the addition of the heinous LRA scenes.  I think having both would be too much to handle.  Yes, the romance in the book was sweet, but the message of discovering what matters most beneath all of our materialistic wants was beautiful.


Sequel: Ahh, can't wait! The sequel called Greed  is about Spencer, Sophie's best friend who is in love with her.  He's reliable and charming.  I'm so glad he gets a happy ending, because it would really stink for such a great guy to get forever stuck a victim of an unrequited love.

Would I recommend this to a friend? GO READ IT NOW! Its the most heartfelt new adult book I have ever read, and it does not include a bet or a best friend trying to get the reserved main character some action.  Thank goodness!
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.