Monday, March 10, 2014

Review: Bright Before Sunrise by Tiffany Schmidt

Bright Before SunriseBright Before Sunrise by Tiffany Schmidt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Current Goodreads Rating: 3.93

When Jonah is forced to move from Hamilton to Cross Pointe for the second half of his senior year, "miserable" doesn't even begin to cover it. He feels like the doggy-bag from his mother's first marriage and everything else about her new life—with a new husband, new home and a new baby—is an upgrade. The people at Cross Pointe High School are pretentious and privileged—and worst of all is Brighton Waterford, the embodiment of all things superficial and popular. Jonah’s girlfriend, Carly, is his last tie to what feels real... until she breaks up with him. 

For Brighton, every day is a gauntlet of demands and expectations. Since her father died, she’s relied on one coping method: smile big and pretend to be fine. It may have kept her family together, but she has no clue how to handle how she's really feeling. Today is the anniversary of his death and cracks are beginning to show. The last thing she needs is the new kid telling her how much he dislikes her for no reason she can understand. She's determined to change his mind, and when they're stuck together for the night, she finally gets her chance. 

Jonah hates her at 3p.m., but how will he feel at 3 a.m.? 

One night can change how you see the world. One night can change how you see yourself.

Characters: Even though Brighton seems like the girl everyone wants to be, she's pretty relatable. At first, I wasn't crazy about her because it seemed like she only asked Jonah to come to the book fundraiser thing because she needed him to be there to make herself look more successful through the event's organization.  But, she grew on me.  She's kind, open-minded, yet stubborn at the same time.  She shares this with Jonah in addition to having to deal with family drama. I liked Jonah for sensitivity, but he seemed like a jerk with selfish motives initially.  My friend Danielle complained that those two were too similar, but I'm still deciding whether opposites attract or repel.
This is the first time that I can remember a character having my name.  It was really weird reading my name but fun, and of course Carly is the wackiest character! So, if you know any novels with a heroine named Carly, let me know in the comments;)

Plot: I loved this idea of a plot taking place over the course of one night!! I wanted to know how people could fall in love in one night and what they'd be doing, how an author could work out the timing without the story getting boring.  But, I thought this book was great! I read it into the early morning, because it seemed necessary! Yesterday into this morning, there was a read along which began and ended at the same times mentioned in the book.  What I great idea, but I couldn't stay up two nights in a row for the same book.

Overall feelings:I adore the idea of this book. It was a  cute and fun read. The cover and title are fantastic, and I love Tiffany Schmidt.  THERE NEEDS TO BE A SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly, you can see what went down at the release party.  It was a pajama party! View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.